Thursday, May 24, 2012

Spinach Frittata For One


Crustless quiche, frittata, or – my favorite – kookoo. Yup, they are pretty much all the same thing. Eggs with vegetables and/or meat and/or herbs and spices and/or cheese.
It’s fun to say Koo Koo.
FYI - according to Wikipedia, Koo Koo is the Iranian equivalent of the frittata.
You can add pretty much anything you want to add and it will be delicious. Well… if you like eggs. If you don’t like eggs then this definitely isn’t for you.
I made a scaled down version to use my new single serving casserole dish that I picked up so I could make this delicious baked oatmeal recipe. Yes, I buy new pans just so I can make recipes that I find on the internet. Don’t judge me.


Spinach Frittata for One
Ingredients
1 clove garlic, minced
2 Tbsp onion, finely chopped
2 – 3 cups spinach leaves
1 egg white
1 piece bacon, finely diced
2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, shredded
 Directions
Preheat oven to 350. Spray an small, oven safe dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
Spray a medium skillet with cooking spray. Cook garlic and onion for a minute or two. Add in raw spinach leaves and cook until the leaves are reduced. (You should have about ½ cup or so of cooked spinach when you are done.) Remove from heat and set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk egg white until a bit foamy. Stir in bacon and cheese. Stir in cooked spinach.
Pour into prepared oven safe dish.


Bake at 350 until set, about 20 – 30 minutes.
 It puffs up in the oven a bit and then sinks down when you remove it so don’t be sad. It tastes delicious and it still looks pretty impressive. I made this for my dinner with some turkey sausage on the side but I’m thinking this would be perfect for breakfast.
Or lunch.
Or a snack.
It’s only 174 calories!
Crazy, right?
(According to Fitday – 174 calories, 9.7 fat, 7.2 carbs, and 15.5  protein.)
Plus, it’s loaded with calcium, vitamins, iron, zinc, and all that good stuff.
It’s easy to tailor to your own preferences too.
Have I convinced you to try it yet?

5 comments:

  1. I have this in the oven right now, made with spinach, feta instead of parm, and black olives instead of bacon. Oh, and the whole egg. I know it adds fat and calories, but it also adds protein, b-vitamins, folate and other goodness as well!! I can't wait to nom it!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your alternatives! (well...except for olives, I'm not a huge fan :)) I might have to try with feta instead though.

      Delete
  2. I hate to say it but I think using a microwave would achieve the same thing in 2-3 minutes. I cringe at the thought but this seems like such a great breakfast food and I doubt I'll ever use both the oven and skillet before breakfast. I guess I could make it the night before...I'm torn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. You could make this in the microwave as well. I just find when I do eggs in the microwave I don't like the texture as much. I find it goes kind of a weird gummy/chewy. (Personal preference) But - you definitely could give the microwave a whirl :)
      Let us know how it works out!

      Delete