Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Rhubarb Cookies


I don’t know about you but when I think of baking with rhubarb I think of loaves, muffins, crisps, things along those lines. I don’t normally associate rhubarb with cookies. Until today. I was cleaning out some papers on my desk and I found a recipe for frosted rhubarb cookies. I vaguely remember printing it out forever ago thinking, “Hmm...those sound interesting. I should try those.” Adding them to my 10 mile long “To Do” list.
Fortunately “Clean Off Desk” was also on my “To Do” List so I found the recipe again. These are soft, cake-like cookies that are delicious with or without the frosting on top.
 Rhubarb Cookies
 
Ingredients
1 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
pinch salt
2 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
1 cup coconut
 
Frosting
4 oz cream cheese
1 Tbsp butter
1 1/2 cups icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla
 
Directions
Preheat oven to 350. Line cookie tray with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. beat in eggs and vanilla.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add to creamed mixture with wooden spoon. Stir in rhubarb and coconut.
 
 
Drop by rounded tablespoons about 2 inches apart on cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 10 - 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 1 minute on cookie sheet before removing to wire rack to cool completely.
For frosting: beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Beat in icing sugar and vanilla. Spread over cookies.
 
 

I really liked the little bite of tanginess that you get when you bite into a piece of the rhubarb. I’m also a really big fan of cream cheese frosting so, either way, I win!
**Just a note while I think of it - You may have noticed on many of our blogs we don’t put how many servings the recipe yields. We find that it can vary so greatly that to specify one number can often be misleading. For example: on the recipe for the Rhubarb Cookies that I printed out it stated that it yielded 4 dozen cookies. I only got 3 dozen. I often use a 9 X 9 pan instead of a 9 X 13 (or vice versa) which drastically changes the serving amounts. I find it is best to make the recipe to your standards/size preference and mark that amount down for future reference. **


No comments:

Post a Comment