Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Chai Tea and Lemon Cookies


Aaaaaand now we are back to cookies!
I’m excited about this recipe. I am not a huge fan of chai tea but love the smell of it. It is usually too spicy for me. But... throw those same spices in a cookie and I can eat a million of them.
These are very mild but definitely have a chai flavour. I added a hint of lemon just to change things up – feel free to leave it out if you want to.
I thought it was interesting that you actually cut open the chai tea bags and use the tea to spice up the cookies.
Sue and I are always on the lookout for interesting ingredients!


Chai Tea and Lemon Cookies

Ingredients
2 cups flour
1 Tbsp chai tea (Filling from 3 – 4 tea bags) (We used Tetley brand tea!)
Pinch sea salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp grated lemon rind
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups icing sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla

  Directions
In medium bowl, whisk together flour, chai tea (cut open tea bag and dump contents into bowl), salt, baking soda, cream of tartar, and lemon rind.
In large bowl, beat butter until creamy. Slowly add in icing sugar until well blended. Beat in egg and vanilla.
Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Cover dough with plastic wrap and chill for at least a couple of hours, up to overnight.
Preheat oven to 350 and line cookie tray with parchment paper.


Scoop dough onto prepared tray, leaving balls about 2 inches apart. Lightly press down with fork dipped in sugar. (I mixed 1 bag chai tea with 1/4 cup sugar - after dipping fork and pressing down cookies I used the remainder to roll my other cookies (LEMON SABLES) in.)
Bake at 350 until edges are lightly browned, about 10 – 15 minutes.


Remove from oven and cool on cookie tray for 5 minutes. Remove to wire rack to finish cooling.


 So, if you follow the above recipe your cookies will probably be much smaller than mine (maybe).
See...I forgot to chill the dough. Well, actually, I didn’t forget...I accidentally skipped over that part whilst reading the recipe. It’s not my fault really.... I was Frankensteining several chai cookie recipes together so was using about 4 recipes at once.
I should know better, I know.
Anyway...not chilling them didn’t ruin them it just made for bigger cookies and not-so-clear fork imprints on top. I can live with that.
If you love chai tea then these will be your new favourite cookie. If you don’t love chai tea, give them a try anyway.... they are really different (in a good way).

1 comment:

  1. They look very different...something new like this would be nice on a plate of muxed cookies.

    ReplyDelete