Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Pumpkin Scones


You know how on Christmas morning there is always traditional Christmas breakfasts?
Some people make the overnight breakfast bakes and such. Some make the whole toast and eggs and bacon and pancakes.
At our house it is butterhorns and Mandarin oranges. I know, I know....we are a weird family, what can I say?
I think I am going to start a new traditional breakfast....for Halloween.
It’s a cool Holiday and I think it’s time it gets its own holiday breakfast status.
It is not because I just want to eat more Halloween stuff.
It’s not.
Really....
I think these Pumpkin Scones are a perfect breakfast to start the tradition off. They are quick and easy to bake, they taste delicious, and you can’t get much more Halloween-y than pumpkin. Plus...you can make a smiley face with chocolate chips if you really want to :)
.

PUMPKIN SCONES
Ingredients
2 1/4 cups flour
8 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 cup butter, chilled
1/4 cup sugar
pinch sea salt
2 eggs
2/3 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup heavy cream

Topping
2 Tbsp milk
2 - 3 Tbsp sugar
Chai tea bag, cut open

Directions
Preheat oven to 425. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and spices. Using 2 knives (or pastry blender), cut butter into flour until mixture resemble coarse crumbs. Do not overmix.
In another bowl, whisk together sugar, salt, eggs, pumpkin, and cream.
Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and blend with spatula untilmixture just comes together. Turn mixture onto floured surface and roll or pat out dough to at least 1 inch thickness. Cut dough with floured cookie cutter. Place on cookie sheet about 1 - 2 inches apart.
Mix chai tea bag contents with sugar.
Brush tops of scones with milk. Sprinkle chai tea sugar over top of scones.
Bake at 425 for about 15 minutes. Scones should be lightly brown on top.

*NOTE - I found my batter was too wet to be able to roll out and use cookie cutters. Instead I simply dropped it by the spoonful on the cookie sheet and it worked out great. The only downside - I wasn't able to get cutesy shapes.

I’ve served these with honey butter, jam, peanut butter, syrup, just about everything.
They are really yummy.
Hmmm.... now this has got me to thinking about what else would make a good Halloween breakfast.
You could do a bacon and egg face.... you could make mummy sausages with biscuit dough/crescent dough and sausages with little dots of mustard for eyes..... Jack-o-lantern pancakes in pumpkin shapes with chocolate chips for the eyes and mouth......you could even just use Halloween cookie cutters to cut out spooky toast shapes...
What would you recommend for a “traditional” Halloween breakfast?

No comments:

Post a Comment