Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Cheeseburger Soup


Nothing hits the spot quite like a bowl of hearty soup on a cold day. Sue and Kenzie and Rob eat a lot of soup because Rob looooooooves soup.
Me, I am generally not a soup girl.
It's not that I don't like soup, I do, it's just that soup doesn't usually leave me feeling full.
This one is certainly an exception to that though. It is full of meat and cheese and potatoes and vegetables and aaaaall that good stuff.
I mean.... cheeeeseburger soup.... come on. What's not to love?



Cheeseburger Soup

Ingredients
1 lb ground beef
1 cup onions, diced
1 cup carrot, shredded
1 cup celery, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp dried parsley
4 - 6 cups chicken broth
4 cups potatoes, diced
4 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup flour
1 cup Velveeta (or other processed cheese), cut into cubes
1 1/2 cups milk
salt and pepper
1/4 cup sour cream

Directions
In a large saucepan, over medium heat, cook beef until no longer pink. Add onions, carrots, celery, garlic, and parsley. Cook and stir until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
Add broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil. Simmer until potatoes are tender.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Add flour, cook and stir for about 1 - 2 minutes - until bubbly. Add to soup, bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
Add cheese, milk, salt & pepper - cook and stir until cheese melts.
Remove from heat. Stir in sour cream.


Note - I mentioned 4 - 6 cups of chicken broth because it depends on how thick you want your soup to be. I start with about 4 and then add more as I go. I usually add the full 6, sometimes even more, depending on how crazy I go with the amount of the other ingredients. I sometimes add more shredded carrots and potatoes, etc... depending on what I have on hand.
That's one of the great things about soup making - you can usually add or subtract ingredients to your preference!

Let us know if you give this recipe a try and tell us what you think. Maybe it will be one of your favorites too.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment