Sunday, April 29, 2012

5 Minute Low Carb Bun


Okay. Mark this day down on your calendar. I am doing a totally healthy blog today.
I know..I know... I have done healthy-eat-your-veggies blogs in the past but today's blog is different.
Why is it different?
It involves me going outside of my comfort zone with food and trying something new and scary (to me) and discovering (with a little tweaking) a recipe that is pretty darned fantastic.
A Low carb bun that is ready in under 5 minutes.
Okay...it maybe isn't your typical "bread" bun. But, if you are trying to eat healthier, especially less carbs, then this is surprisingly close to "real" bread.
At least, it is in my opinion.
And I have a few years of bread eating experience under my belt. Pun intended :)


5 Minute Low Carb Bun

Ingredients
2 tsp butter
1 egg
1 Tbsp water (scant)
1/2 Tbsp shredded Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 Tbsp almond meal
1 Tbsp flax meal
1/4 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
pinch garlic salt
pinch Stevia (or other sugar substitute such as Splenda)

Directions
In a standard cereal bowl, place butter. Microwave for 15 seconds (just to melt).
Add in egg and water, whisk with fork to combine.
Add remaining ingredients in order listed. Whisk well with fork or small metal whisk, until well combined.
Microwave, uncovered, for 1 1/2 minutes, until set. Cooking times will vary so start checking for doneness at about 1 minute 20 seconds. Batter should not have any wet looking spots.
Loosen edges with a butter knife and invert onto cutting board.

Inverted on cutting board. Don't be scared by the texture at this point. It changes when you toast it!

Let cool slightly and, using a sharp bread knife, carefully slice in half horizontally.
 Toast in a toaster oven or regular toaster until browned.

See, toasted it looks almost like "real" bread!

Continue to eat as you would a regular bread bun with your favorite sandwich toppings.

Are you ready for the good news?
If you follow the recipe above it is ONLY - 240 calories, 20 fat, 6 carbs, 11.5 protein. (Using Fitday )
Seriously....6 carbs! That's it!
A regular hamburger bun has between 18 - 35 carbs (depending on brand, size, etc...)

I had this for breakfast this morning:


A toasted 5 Minute Low Carb Bun with a scrambled egg, a little ketchup, and some turkey pepperoni.
Total calories - 340, fat - 26, carbs - 8, protein - 20!
Is that not one of the best breakfasts ever?
(Well, it is for me.....)
I felt like I was having an egg mcmuffin type sandwich for breakfast without the carbs. 
Don't get me wrong, I still have high fiber cereal or a fruit & yogurt smoothie for breakfast but now I have another healthy alternative. 
Healthy...and delicious!

UPDATE!! I made a super yummy portobello mushroom burger on this bun!


So the bun is 240 calories right? Add 130 calories for a slice of tomato, slice of cheese, and a portobello mushroom.... and you've got yourself a delicious burger for 370 calories.
Plus the fillers add 10 more protein (7 fat and 8 carbs too)!!
Holy H-E-double hockey sticks!!

Update number 2!! I made a regular burger with extra lean ground beef. I just wanted to share the photo to make you drool. You can use this bun for all of your sandwich/burger needs :)




FYI - DEFINITELY toast it!
I have never tried it un-toasted as the texture seems a little funky. By funky I mean chewy. By chewy I mean, not in a good way.
But, toasted, it is awesome :)


18 comments:

  1. ok, so I am doing the Atkins diet. is this number of carbs the whole carb number, or the net carbs after you subtracted the fiber grams from the carb grams? If you didn't do that, then this is an AWESOME alternitive to us on Atkins cause there are NO NET CARBS IN THIS BREAD!!! WOW!! I hope that is the case! Thanks for posting, I am going to try it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry...I don't know if it is net carbs or the whole carb number...Fitday doesn't specify.

      Delete
    2. I did it on caloriecount.com and got a slightly different result and it shows fiber, so you can get the net carbs.
      254 calories, 20.1 grams of fat, 6.7 grams total carbs, 3.2 grams of fiber (so 3.5 net carbs) and 10.9 grams of protein :)

      Delete
    3. Total carbs minus fiber minus sugar alcohol is the formula. That number is net carbs. Net carbs is what you count.

      Delete
  2. Loving this! Thank you so very much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you make this without butter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't just leave it out. You may be able to sub something else - ie: coconut oil, etc... - but I have never done that personally.

      Delete
  4. I just tried this recipe for my husband, and he loved it. It said it was a little salty so next time I may just use the garlic salt and not add the extra salt. But overall, he gave it a thumbs up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, so in my healthy eating we do not use a microwave, can you make this in a toaster over?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never tried it in a toaster oven. Please let us know how it turns out for you :)

      Delete
    2. Ok, I finally had a chance to try these out in my toaster over and it worked our fantastic. I baked it for 15 min @ 350 degrees - then toasted it. Very good! Thanks great recipe!

      Delete
    3. Awesome! Thanks for getting back to us and letting us know :) So glad you enjoyed it

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I omit the almond meal (nut allergy). If so could I increase the flax meal instead or is there a nut-free suitable substitute?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would imaging you could omit the almond meal and replace it with another flour - ie: quinoa flour, whole wheat flour, or similar. You could also try increasing the flax to see how that worked. Please let us know how it works for you!

      Delete
    2. I definitely will! Thanks for the suggestions.

      Delete
  8. This recipe is amazing!! Just had it for breakfast and I'm inlove with breakfasts again! Was worried it would taste overly 'flax seedy or almondy' which I'm not keen on in a savoury situation, but I'm blown away by how scrumptious it was!! Thanks a million for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete