Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Browned Butter Double Chocolate Toffee Cookies


So, I struggled to come up with a name for these bad boys.
I wanted something catchy that captured the true amazingness of the flavor and chewy texture. I hate naming recipes by listing off a whole bunch of the ingredients in the title. So, why then did I name it with the ingredients?
Well...
I'm having a creative name brain freeze.
Something like "Delicious Cookie" seems superfluous.
"Dream Cookie", while accurate, seems a bit boring.
"Most Amazing Cookies in the World", again, while accurate, might get me into some kind of legal trouble after I become rich and famous and people are looking to get at my fortune.
*Siiiigh*
What's a girl to do?
I definitely wanted people to know that there was browned butter in these. Browned butter is my new favorite thing-of-the-moment.  And then I just had to mention the double chocolate part. I mean chocolate X2 is a big selling point, right? Who doesn't want to eat cookies with cocoa and chocolate chips? And, lastly, it would be negligent of me to not mention the toffee bits. I mean......TOFFEE bits.... need I say more?


Browned Butter Double Chocolate Toffee Cookies

Ingredients
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1/2 Tbsp vanilla
1 3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup baking cocoa powder
3/4 cup mini chocolate chip
3/4 cup Skor bits (or other hard, toffee bits)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350. Line a cookie tray with parchment paper.
Heat a saucepan over medium heat and add butter. Stir constantly with a heat proof spatula until brown bits appear on the bottom and butter turns a nice medium golden brown. Remove from heat and let cool completely. (You can place in refrigerator to speed process.)
Once cool, add to a large bowl and whisk together with sugars until smooth. Add in egg and egg yolk, whisking until combined, then stir in vanilla.
Separate the dough into 2 bowls. Try and get them as even as possible.
In one bowl - add 1 cup flour, 1/4 tsp of the baking soda, and the Skor bits. Mix to form stiff dough.
In 2nd bowl - add remaining 3/4 cup flour, remaining 1/4 tsp baking soda, 1/4 cup cocoa powder, and chocolate chips. Mix to form stiff dough.
Roll each dough into about 12 - 15 balls (about the size of a golf ball). Cut each ball in half. Take a half of each dough and place then together to form one mixed cookie. Place dough onto lined cookie sheet about 2 inches apart (they do spread) and bake approximately 10 - 12 minutes.


Cookies should be a little soft in the middle and golden on the edges. Remove from oven and let cool on cookie sheets for 5 minutes. Remove to wire rack to finish coooling.

Try not to eat them all.
I know you think I am kidding about that.
I'm not.
You may be tempted to start eating and just not stop.
Oooooh...I could call them The Downfall of My Trying to Lose Weight and Eat Healthy Cookies.
Yeah...that's probably the most accurate title.
True story.

No comments:

Post a Comment