Thursday, May 31, 2012

Above Average Oatmeal Cookies


I didn't really know what to call these cookies.
This recipe is one that I have made over and over and over...and over... trying to get it to form the soft, chewy oatmeal cookies that I am always looking for.
Turns out it's not that kind of oatmeal cookie.
This is supposed to be lacey and crunchy/chewy.
Once I accepted that...I realized that I had one of the most delicious tasting cookie recipes on the planet in my hands.
It is so buttery and brown sugary and coconutty that I can forgive the lack of soft chewiness and just enjoy the almost caramel-y crisp/chewiness.
And to name such a cookie just plain "oatmeal cookie" seemed a little blasphemous. Granted "Above Average Oatmeal Cookies" seems a little lacking as well.
Oh well. It's what we are going with.

Above Average Oatmeal Cookies

Ingredients
1 cup butter, melted
2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
2 cups oatmeal
1 cup coconut
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
pinch salt
1 cup of raisins (or chocolate chips)

Directions
Preheat oven to 400. Line a cookie tray with parchment paper.
Pour melted butter in a large bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients in the order listed. Stir with a wooden spoon until well combined.

Leave them room to spread - and believe me, they do spread.

Drop about 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheet. Bake 10 - 15 minutes or until edges are golden brown. (Middle will probaby still appear under cooked but will brown up as they sit.)
Remove from oven and let sit on cookie sheet about 5 minutes to set up. Remove to wire rack to finish cooling.
NOTE - Don't flatten the cookies, they spread on their own. (From my experience, it doesn't matter if you refrigerate or freeze the dough. They will still spread out.)

The original recipe was from one of the ancient cookbooks in our mother's collection. I can't tell you the name of it as the cover has long been missing.
Needless to say it is filled with delicious recipes like this one, full of butter and sugar and all of those wonderful things that we should all probably eat less of.
Bah Humbug.
These cookies are amazingly delicious. They remind me of praline!
I say a little indulgence every once in a while is healthy for us. Just don't eat the whole batch.
That would probably be bad.


3 comments: