Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Browned Butter Pecan Shortbread


Time for more cookies!
I think I may be addicted to cookies. I don’t just mean eating them either. I love looking up cookie recipes and just trying out funky new ingredients. I mean, what’s not to love about a cookie?
(I am sure you anti-cookie people with have a list a mile long to answer this EVEN THOUGH this is a rhetorical question. Sue, I am looking in your direction.)
I am combining my love of browned butter and love of shortbread to make these little melt in your mouth morsels. The toasted pecans just put these over the top.
I mean, my favorite cookies are soft and chewy but every once in a while I just need something crumbly.

Browned Butter Pecan Shortbread

 Ingredients
1 1/2 cups butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup icing sugar
3 cups flour
1 cup pecans, finely chopped

Directions
In a large skillet, cook the butter over medium heat, stirring constantly. When butter turns brown and there is tiny brown fleck in it, remove from heat and transfer to another dish to cool. This usually takes anywhere from 5 – 10 minutes. Chill, uncovered, for about an hour. (Butter should be cool and beginning to solidify.)
In the same skillet, put chopped pecans over medium heat. Stir and cook until pecans are fragrant and slightly browned. Keep a close eye on them! Remove from heat and transfer to a small bowl to cool.
In a large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add both sugars, mixing until smooth. Slowly incorporate the flour at a low speed, just until blended. Stir in the pecans.


Shape the dough into 4 – 8 inch logs and cover in plastic wrap. Chill until firm (3 or more hours).
Preheat oven to 350. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.


Cut the logs into approx. 1/4 inch thick slices and place about an inch apart on prepared cookie sheet.
Bake 8 – 10 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove from oven and let sit on cookie sheet for about 5 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.
 I am pretty sure these are going into the Christmas cookie rotation this year.
So.
Ridiculously.
Good.

No comments:

Post a Comment