Monday, June 4, 2012

Double Chocolate Muffins (Low cal)


I am so excited to blog about this recipe you just don't even know.
This chocolatey bit of heaven is only 48 calories!
I'm not even lying.
Just look at it......
Eeeeeeeeeeeeee......I'm so happy right now!
Okay. Sue thinks I may be a little too excited about this recipe.
She just doesn't understand.
This is a delicious, LOW CALORIE, chocolate treat that doesn't taste like cardboard or some kind of funky nastiness. This actually tastes like ooey, gooey chocolate amazingness. It makes 24 small muffins but you could easily make 12 large muffins and still be under 100 calories per muffin.
Crazy, right?


Double Chocolate Muffins
(slightly adapted from Dashing Dish )

Ingredients
1 3/4 cup oats
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch sea salt
1/2 cup Sugar Twin Brown Sugar (or other sugar substitute like Splenda)
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
3 egg whites
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup Greek yogurt (0 fat)
1 cup hot water
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips

Directions
Preheat oven to 350. Line 2 (12 cup) muffin pans with paper cupcake liners.
In a food processor (or blender), process oats until well ground. Add remaining dry ingredients and pulse until combined.
In a medium bowl, whisk together wet ingredients (egg whites, applesauce, vanilla, Greek yogurt, and hot water).  Add all at once to dry ingredients and process until mixture is smooth.
Place approximately 3 Tbsp of mixture into each muffin cup (for 24 muffins). Evenly sprinkle chocolate chips over each muffin. 
Bake at 350 for 12 - 20 minutes. Time will depend on size of muffins. They are done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to cool completely on wire racks.


I entered all the ingredients into Fitday and this is what the nutritional info came up as:
Calories - 48
Fat - 0.8
Carbs - 7.8
Protein - 2.6
This differs a tiny bit from what the Dashing Dish had posted. They had 58 calories per muffin if you made 24 muffins. I'm going to go with what Fitday told me as Fitday has been pretty accurate thus far. Plus, I like the 48 calories better :)

So.....
yeah....
Are you doing a happy dance yet?
No? Well, that's just because you haven't made these yet.
Trust me, after you make these and taste that ooey gooey chocolatey goodness you will be doing your happiest happy dance.


Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
So exciting.
I love it when healthy and tasty combine.


Stop by Kitchen Fun with My 3 Sons for some cute links.

17 comments:

  1. I absolutely **LOVE** the quote in your header :) Too funny! Thanks for dropping by Love Bakes Good Cakes ... I had to follow you via GFC after seeing the quote - if that is any indication of your personalities, I am going to love your site :) Oh, and when I see Double Chocolate muffins, that is another win! Looks yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill Bryson is a knuckle dragger. (funny quote for white people though). Asians were eating with knitting needles when most people were eating food with the same dirty hand they wiped their bottoms with. I will now be eating my yummy muffins with chop sticks. Thanks for the great recipe though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used 3 tbsp of batter per muffin cup (per instructions) and it only made 15, not 24. They are delicious though, especially warm. I figured it was 2 weight watchers PP based on yield of 15, so probably only 1 point for yield of 24.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so weird. I never understood how recipes can yield such a variety of servings sizes. I hope you enjoyed them!

      Delete
    2. It is strange - I got 21-22 ish using 3tbs batter per muffin, but just 'rearranged' a bit to get 24.

      Great recipe, mine are a bit 'oaty' though, I think I need to process the oats longer. Next time I think I'll add the hot water in when I process to soften the oats more.

      Delete
    3. It probably has something to do with the fact that this recipe is by volume, not by weight. As you read on a lot of packaging - especially for things like chips or flour - settling may occur. 1/2 cup of tightly packed flour will weigh less than 1/2 cup of loose or fluffed up flour. That's why so many recipes tell you to put the flour through a flour sifter before measuring. Despite popular misconceptions, it's not just to remove any lumps, but also to give a more consistent measure.

      Delete
  4. I plan on making these but I have noticed if I leave baked types with oatmeal and yogurt out to long they get rancid more easily. Can these be frozen like cupcakes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, these freeze very well. I jut heat mine in the microwave for a few seconds and they are as tasty as ever :)

      Delete
  5. I just made but made some alterations because I am trying to eat clean so instead of splenda which I am giving up I used 1/4 regular sugar + 1 pkt pure via which is not as sweet but enough for the craving of chocolate. Awesome recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just saw these on Pinterest and clicked right through; I was so excited! Can't wait to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When you ground the oats does it still come out to 1 3/4 cups? I already have ground oats on hand and I dont want to ground more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I measured the oats befor they were ground.... I'm not sure what the measurements are after grinding.... Sorry I can't be more help :/

      Delete
  8. Will honey and brown sugar work, instead of any other sweetener añd what happens if I add one egg instead of 3 egg whites?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure Gayle - I've never made those substitutions. It would completely change the nutritional counts. If you give it a try please let us know how it turns out.

      Delete
  9. Do you think this would work in a mini doughnut tray? I don't have a mini muffin tray but Im trying to figure out another way to make this, just not sur what would work in terms of them cooking properly. Maybe even cookies might work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would work fine in a mini doughnut tray :)

      Delete