Thursday, June 14, 2012

Lemony Lemon Brownies


These tart little fellows have been all over Pinterest the last while and I finally had to have a go at them.
I know “brownie” usually means chocolate. Okay…and sometimes “blondies”…. But lemon? Really?
These definitely take the brownie to a whole new level.
If you are a purest then you can go ahead and just call these a lemon bar if it makes you feel better.
They are very dense and brownie-y though.
Hmmm…maybe we should call them Lemonies.
Nice.



Lemon Brownies
(slightly adapted from Baker Girl)

Ingredients
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
pinch sea salt
1/2 cup butter, room temp
2 large eggs
zest of 2 lemons (about 2 Tbsp)
juice of 1 lemon (about 1/4 cup)

Glaze
1 cup icing sugar
juice of 1 lemon (about 1/4 cup)
zest of 1 lemon (about 1 Tbsp)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350. Spray an 8 X 8 baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, beat first 4 ingredients (flour, sugar, salt, butter) together until smooth.
In a separate bowl, whisk together next 3 ingredients until combined. Pour into the flour mixture and beat until smooth and creamy.
Pour into prepared 8X8 pan and bake for about 20 - 30 minutes, or until starting to turn golden around the edges. A toothpick inserted in the middle should come out clean. (Do NOT overbake!)
Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack.
Prepare glaze - whisk all ingredients together until smooth.
When brownie is cool, spread half the glaze over the brownie with a spatula. Let glaze harden. Spread the remaining glaze over the bars and let it harden again.
Cut into bars and serve.


 These are so lemony. And they are a nice change from my usually lemon bar (which I realize I have never posted about! I will do that soon so you can compare the two).
I think everyone has to have a tasty lemon bar in their collection. It’s like chocolate cake or peanut butter cookies…..you have to have at least one “go to” recipe before you start trying a million different ones.
This may be my new go to.
Hmmm….. now I am going to HAVE to make my old recipe and see. (UPDATE- Go here to see my usual Crunchy Lemon Bars.)

8 comments:

  1. There is just not enough flour or something in these. It barely fits an 8 x 6 x 6 pan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm....I'm not sure where you ran into problems. I baked mine in an 8 X 8 and it was okay, and the original recipe (@ Baker Girl) was also in an 8 X 8. How did it turn out being baked in a smaller pan?

      Delete
  2. I just made this after having the recipe bookmarked for months as I had some lemons and limes in the fridge. I have to tell you..this is just amazing!!It is a lemony brownie..luscious and moist and just a lovely amount of lemon. I didn't have any problems with the amount of mixture as it was perfect for my slice pan. Awesome recipe which now has a place in my personal cook book. Thank you SO much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The batter is tasting a LOT like butter, I used the amount the recipe calls for. I'm worried! :( Let's hope they turn out well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt like this barely made enough batter for the pan, i wound up making 8 muffin brownies

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was so excited to try these.. they came out tasting like nothing but bitter lemon zest.. unfortunately we couldn't even eat them. =(

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are delicious and came out exactly as pictured (my icing is a little weird since I didn't have powdered sugar and had to grind my regular sugar, but it still tastes great!) They are maybe just a little TOO lemon-y haha, not enough to ruin the taste, but I might make the icing vanilla next time so there's another flavor there too. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete