Thursday, June 14, 2012

Lemony Lemon Brownies


These tart little fellows have been all over Pinterest the last while and I finally had to have a go at them.
I know “brownie” usually means chocolate. Okay…and sometimes “blondies”…. But lemon? Really?
These definitely take the brownie to a whole new level.
If you are a purest then you can go ahead and just call these a lemon bar if it makes you feel better.
They are very dense and brownie-y though.
Hmmm…maybe we should call them Lemonies.
Nice.



Lemon Brownies
(slightly adapted from Baker Girl)

Ingredients
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
pinch sea salt
1/2 cup butter, room temp
2 large eggs
zest of 2 lemons (about 2 Tbsp)
juice of 1 lemon (about 1/4 cup)

Glaze
1 cup icing sugar
juice of 1 lemon (about 1/4 cup)
zest of 1 lemon (about 1 Tbsp)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350. Spray an 8 X 8 baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, beat first 4 ingredients (flour, sugar, salt, butter) together until smooth.
In a separate bowl, whisk together next 3 ingredients until combined. Pour into the flour mixture and beat until smooth and creamy.
Pour into prepared 8X8 pan and bake for about 20 - 30 minutes, or until starting to turn golden around the edges. A toothpick inserted in the middle should come out clean. (Do NOT overbake!)
Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack.
Prepare glaze - whisk all ingredients together until smooth.
When brownie is cool, spread half the glaze over the brownie with a spatula. Let glaze harden. Spread the remaining glaze over the bars and let it harden again.
Cut into bars and serve.


 These are so lemony. And they are a nice change from my usually lemon bar (which I realize I have never posted about! I will do that soon so you can compare the two).
I think everyone has to have a tasty lemon bar in their collection. It’s like chocolate cake or peanut butter cookies…..you have to have at least one “go to” recipe before you start trying a million different ones.
This may be my new go to.
Hmmm….. now I am going to HAVE to make my old recipe and see. (UPDATE- Go here to see my usual Crunchy Lemon Bars.)

10 comments:

  1. There is just not enough flour or something in these. It barely fits an 8 x 6 x 6 pan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm....I'm not sure where you ran into problems. I baked mine in an 8 X 8 and it was okay, and the original recipe (@ Baker Girl) was also in an 8 X 8. How did it turn out being baked in a smaller pan?

      Delete
  2. I just made this after having the recipe bookmarked for months as I had some lemons and limes in the fridge. I have to tell you..this is just amazing!!It is a lemony brownie..luscious and moist and just a lovely amount of lemon. I didn't have any problems with the amount of mixture as it was perfect for my slice pan. Awesome recipe which now has a place in my personal cook book. Thank you SO much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The batter is tasting a LOT like butter, I used the amount the recipe calls for. I'm worried! :( Let's hope they turn out well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt like this barely made enough batter for the pan, i wound up making 8 muffin brownies

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was so excited to try these.. they came out tasting like nothing but bitter lemon zest.. unfortunately we couldn't even eat them. =(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you zest the white part under the yellow lemon peel. Because the white is the bitter part. Zest is just the yellow.

      Delete
  6. These are delicious and came out exactly as pictured (my icing is a little weird since I didn't have powdered sugar and had to grind my regular sugar, but it still tastes great!) They are maybe just a little TOO lemon-y haha, not enough to ruin the taste, but I might make the icing vanilla next time so there's another flavor there too. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. my daughter made these and they were barely 1/4" thick. needed a leavening agent, not like a brownie at all.

    ReplyDelete