Saturday, June 23, 2012

Light Potato Soup


I needed to make something fairly quick for dinner tonight. My day was rediculously busy and I didn't feel like prepping for a billion hours.
Also, both mom and dad weren't feeling well so I needed something that would sit well on their upset stomachs.
Plus, I am still trying to eat as healthy as I can so I wanted something that wasn't full of fat, etc...
Guess what I found?
Yummy, hearty, yet healthy potato soup.

Naked soup without toppings!

Light Potato Soup
(adapted from Skinny Taste)

Ingredients
1 medium potato, washed and scrubbed
1 medium head of cauliflower, stem removed & cut into florets
2 cups fat free chicken broth
2 cups 1% milk
salt & pepper
1/2 cup light sour cream
6 Tbsp chives, divided
1/2 cup light, aged cheddar cheese, shredded
3 slices bacon, cooked & crumbled

Directions
Pierce potato with a fork and microwave for 5 minutes - or until tender.
Boil cauliflower in a pot full of water until tender. Drain and return to pot.
Over medium heat, add chicken broth, milk, salt & pepper, and potato. Bring to a boil.
Using an immersion blender, puree until smooth. (I didn't have an immersion blender so I just used my Magic Bullet and processed it in batches until it was smooth and then poured it back in the pot.)
Add sour cream and half the chives and cook over low heat another 5 - 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat, ladle 1 cup into bowl, top each serving with 1-2 Tbsp cheese, remaining chives and bacon.


Oooooh pretty!
It is now loaded baked potato soup but without all the fat and calories of regular potato soup.

According to Fitday the breakdown per serving (serving is 1 cup)
Calories - 115
Fat - 2.5
Carbs - 15
Protein - 9
A cup of "regular" potato soup is about 150 calories, 6.4 fat, 17 carbs, and 5.7 protein.

Trust me when I say - you won't know this isn't full fat "regular"potato soup.
Yes, it tastes THAT good.
There is hardly any prep involved in this. You have to love that!
I left the skin on the potato because it adds more nutrients but you certainly don't have to. (Keep in mind you puree everything so you won't have any bits of skin floating around.)
Plus..... it turns out it was a really good choice for mom and dad's upset tummies. They both said it helped them feel less nauseas. Yay!


Check out Carole's Chatter for some great links.

5 comments:

  1. Great job lowering the calories and fat...and it still looks delicious! Even naked. What I like best is the time involved. My usual loaded potato soup is an all day event with many dirty dishes. And way more fat!

    Thank you for taking time to link with See Ya In the Gumbo. Nice of you to stop in again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete