Monday, June 11, 2012

Love Drops Cookies


I don't know if I have made my love of cookies clear.
I L.O.V.E. cookies.
Cookie monster is my idol.
I know making cookies can be a pain in the patootie but they are soooo worth the effort.
I happened upon this particular recipe in one of the ancient cookbooks under our kitchen counter. The United Churches in Canada - Let's Break Bread Together. I believe this was from the Hillsborough United Church of Hillsborough, N.B.
This is such a different cookie. Once I read the recipe I knew I had to try it. I mean, who puts meringue on a cookie? That's crazy!
Crazy and delicious.
I made a few minor adjustments to the recipe and the result is melt in your mouth tastiness.


Love Drops

Ingredients
1 cup butter, room temp
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg, separated
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1/2 cup (approx) jam or jelly
1 tsp sugar

Directions
Preheat oven to 350. Line a cookie tray with parchment paper. Set aside.
In a large bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar until creamy. Add egg yolk and vanilla and mix well. Gradually add in flour. Roll into ping pong sized balls. Place on cookie sheet a few inches apart. Using your thumb or the back of 1/2 tsp measuring spoon, make indent in balls.


Bake at 350 until light brown, about 10 minutes.
Remove from oven and put a small amount of jelly or jam in the dent.


Whip the egg white with the 1 tsp of sugar until stiff peaks form. Top the cookies with the meringue and return to oven to brown.


Remove from oven, let cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. 

Crazy, right?
I love recipes that are unusual AND delicious. Thank you Hillsborough, N.B. for the great idea.

Want to see some fun links check out - My Turn (for us).
Don't forget to go see Kayla's Creations for more great links!

6 comments:

  1. Oh My Goodness! These are just out of this world. I have never heard of meringue on a cookie. I also love recipes (especially your cookies) that are so different. Good find and thanks so much for sharing at Freedom Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of adding meringue to a cookie! Genius! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were a really cool find! I love the meringue on them :)

      Delete
  3. These look so good! You've been featured at Sunday Round Up :) http://www.kaylascreationsblog.com/2012/06/sunday-round-up-15.html Have a great week!
    -Kayla :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the feature! That's awesome :)

      Delete