Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Plum Streusel Kuchen

 
I have once again dug into the mystery shoebox of recipes under the counter and came out with this little gem. I was a little wary of trying it as there was no photo to go along with the recipe.
I know I have said it before but SERIOUSLY how did they sell cookbooks before they had photos with the dishes? It's just not the same.
I need to see how the recipe is going to look finished. *Aaaaarg*
Anyways, I decided to give this one a go because we have buckets of plums to use up and I wanted something different.
This is a really interesting recipe. I liked it but it was not what I was expecting. (Maybe if there had been photos my expectations would have been different...just sayin'...)
It was a cross between a cake and a biscuit. I would call it a very heavy but thin cake. I will definitely make it again...I'd like to try it with pears and apples too.
 
 
Plum Streusel Kuchen
 
Ingredients
2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
2 Tbsp butter
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
6 fresh plums
 
Streusel
2/3 cup flour
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp butter, chilled
2 Tbsp heavy cream
 
Directions
Preheat oven to 350. Line a 9X13 pan with parchment paper, spray lightly with cooking spray, set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, and baking powder. Cut in butter until mixture resembles crumbs.
In a small bowl, whisk together egg and buttermilk, add to crumb mixture and stir with a fork until mixture forms a sticky dough. Press dough into prepared pan.
 
 
Cut plums in half and then in quarters (each plum yields 8 slices). Arrange plums on dough in pan.
 
 
To mix topping: combine flour and brown sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles crumbs. Add cream and mix with a fork until moist crumbs are formed. Sprinkle evenly over plums.
 
 
Bake at 350 for 30 - 40 minutes, until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
 
 
Remove from heat and let cool on wire rack. You can cut in pan OR use parchment paper "handles" to lift cake out to cut and serve.
This is really good warm or room temp. Chilled is okay too but the cake seemed a little dry when served completely cold.
 
 
It is amazing served with soft ice cream or whipped cream too.
Then again...pretty much anything is better with ice cream or whipped cream.
My favorite part is the streusel. I thought there might be too much streusel and wasn't going to use it all....but then I did....and it was perfect. I now believe there is no such thing as too much streusel.
 
Pop over to Carole's Chatter for some fantastic links!

4 comments:

  1. Holy COW!!! Is there anything you post that I don't want to pin and save? This looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Your kind words have totally made my day!

      Delete
  2. Hi~ Stopping by from Carole's Chatter to check out your plum recipe~ My Grandma made Plum Kuchen when I was young (awhile ago:) I forgot how wonderful this recipe is~ Your recipe looks and sounds great, I will have to give this a try~ My Grandma would be pleased~Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete