Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Chinese New Year Dinner


Sue here!
I figured if I wanted to share our Chinese New Year dinner pics with everyone I had better just steal the blog away from Jo and do it.
Jo and I had initially planned to put on a big Chinese New Year dinner to celebrate me and my family finally moving into our new house. As we all know, well laid plans often go astray.
We moved in but everything was still in boxes as the finishing touches continue to be put on the house and then Jo had to go and get super sick.
I decided to go ahead with the dinner anyway with our other sister, Orra, her boys, and Kenzie and a friend as guests.
I think things turned out pretty nice.


You'll have to excuse the quality of the photos. All I have to use is a small digital camera that came over on the ark.


Most of my serving dishes and decor are still being unpacked but I tried to find all the red I could. (Red being good luck and all that!)
We went with a fairly simple Chinese inspired meal for dinner.


Some homemade, Baked Eggrolls started us off. Don't mind Kenzie lurking in the background. You can find our recipe HERE. 


I made a simple Broccoli and Mushroom stir fry to make sure we got our veggies in. This is a little different version of Jo's Beef and Broccoli recipe that you can find HERE.  


I made a simple lettuce wrap filling with some leftover chicken. I usually use ground turkey or pork - and have to say I prefer that version. (Click HERE for that recipe!!) 


Of course, it wouldn't be a big dinner at our house without meat of some sort! I made these tasty ribs by first using Shake-and-Bake until they they were cooked and then basted them with some Chinese BBQ sauce and put them under the broiler to crisp up.


We added a few dipping sauces at the end of the line to add some flavor.


Nephew, Nick, then Kenz, then friend waiting to dive into the food. Notice the huge dish of chow mein in front of Nick. That dish I made using the recipe on the package of noodles. It was good but I will definitely use my "usual" chow mein recipe the next time.
I saved the best for last.
Jo had wanted to try this dessert but ended up not being able to try it. Which is too bad....it was amazing. Definitely the hit of the night.


I have to say this photo does NOT do it justice. It is cheesecake in an eggroll. I am going to make these again very soon and make Jo come and take some photos with "her" camera. (I put "her" in quotation marks because it is really our nephew, Jordan's, camera that Jo has adopted as her own so she thinks she is all cool.)
You will definitely want to come back for that recipe!! Orra's boys loved it - as did Kenz and her friend.
I can't wait until everything is settled and all of my serving dishes and decor can finally make an appearance! Yay to new space and a new house.
Oh, yes, and happy belated Chinese New Year!

Be sure to stop by Hungry Little Girl and Adorned From Above for some fantastic links!

2 comments:

  1. Wish I would have seen this post before Feb. 10 - such a fun idea! I love your choices of food and am especially intrigued with the way you prepared your ribs - I am going to try that! Thanks so much for sharing. I know you are frustrated with your camera, but I think your photos are nice :)
    Resa ~ Pitcher and Plate

    ReplyDelete