Sunday, February 24, 2013

Guinness Candied Bacon


Ever have those conversations where you ask questions like; If you were stranded on a deserted island and only had 3 food items to eat, what would you choose? OR If you were facing your last meal, what would you have?
You know, the really important questions.
I've decided that Guinness Candied Bacon is my new answer to those questions. (Okay, to round out my 3 for the island I would also pick Pierogies and Our Chocolate Cake.)
We all know that bacon is the candy of the meat world so, by officially making it "candy" candy we are just setting the universe right.
It is a little fussy to make as it takes about 30 - 40 minutes of basting every 10 minutes BUT
BUT
BUT
it is totally worth it.
Oh my goodness....I can't even explain how worth it this is.
Our family went to town on these bad boys on their own but I think you could add these to a burger for good effect too.
I used Guinness beer as I was trying to St. Patrick's-Day-them up but I am sure just about any beer would work. I just wanted to add, I didn't invent this recipe but, as it is all over the internet, I'm not sure who to credit. Several breweries have it listed on their websites - with good reason. I never buy beer - not a fan - but I will to make this!


Guinness Candied Bacon

Ingredients
1 lb bacon
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup Guinness beer

Directions
Preheat oven to 400. Line a cookie sheet with tinfoil. Place a cooling rack on top of the tinfoil. Lay out the bacon on the cooling rack. (I had to do 1/2 lb of bacon at a time.)


Bake at 400 for 10 minutes. While bacon is in the oven, prepare your Guinness syrup by whisking together the brown sugar and beer until smooth.
Remove bacon after 10  minutes and baste with the syrup. Flip bacon over and baste the other side. Return to oven for 10 more minutes.


Repeat this 2 or 3 more times - until bacon is crispy and/or you have used up the Guinness syrup.


See that burnt mess? That is why you need the tinfoil on your cookie sheet. Clean up takes 2 seconds this way.
Remove the bacon to another, clean cooling rack to cool. (If you leave it on the sticky rack it will stick and fall apart when you try to remove it!)


Just look at that sticky, crispy, bacony deliciousness.
Granted, not the healthiest choice but..hey...what can you do...bacon just makes everything better.
Even candy.
P.S. - Thick cut bacon works best BUT you can totally use the thin stuff too. The photos above are just regular, thin bacon strips as that is what I had on hand.



Be sure to visit Carol's Chatter for tons of fun foody links. 

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. I can't begin to imagine how good this must be. As if bacon wasn't addictive enough!

    Thank you for linking up this week--I appreciate that you stopped by. P. S. I deleted the extra entry--no worries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowza that looks good!! Thank you so much for linking to Simple Supper Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew I saw this recipe while I was blog hopping the other day, thought I saved your URL but ended up searching all over till I found it again!
    Thx for posting it can't wait to try it my guys will LOVE it! Salt & sweet oh yum!
    Great PMS food [for anyone that still does PMS]

    ReplyDelete
  4. A friend of mine just made your recipe for a St. Patrick's Day party and WOW, was it good. I am making it tonight for our Easter Brunch tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete