Sunday, February 3, 2013

Rice and Egg (Single Serving)

 
I've been going a little breakfast crazy lately. I find if I want to stay on track with eating healthy then having something filling and healthy to start off my day is really important.
But...
it also has to be tasty
and easy.
See...I'm lazy and the easier a dish is the more likely I am to make it again.
This was easy, tasty, and super fast to whip up.
Emphasis on the tasty part.
Who knew a sunny side up egg on fried rice would be so amazing?
 
 
Rice and Egg (Single Serving)
 
Ingredients
1/3 cup cooked rice
1/4 cup onion, finely diced
2 Tbsp shredded carrot
1/4 cup frozen peas
garlic powder
salt & pepper
1 egg
 
Directions
In a medium fry pan over medium heat, stir together rice, onion, carrot, peas, and spices. (You could add a bit of oil if you want to but I don't find it necessary.)
 
 
Cook and stir until veggies are soft and rice has started to brown. Place on serving plate and cover and keep warm.
In same pan, carefully cook egg to desired doneness, being careful not to break yolk. Lift egg from pan and set on top of warm rice.
 
 
Break yolk to use as "sauce" for rice.
 
 
If desired, cut up egg before enjoying.
 
 
I love this for breakfast. I can't believe I waited this long to try an egg on my rice.
According to Fitday this is:
190 calories,
5.7 fat
24.5 carbs
10.1 protein.
What a great way to start the day!
Or...for that matter....it's perfect for lunch or dinner too. You could add a piece of whole wheat toast or maybe stir in some sausage meat.
This is easy to double or triple too if you are feeding the family instead of just yourself.
I just wanted to note - you can make the entire dish in one pan to save on dishes OR you can use 2 pans and cook the rice and the egg simultaneously so you don't have to try and keep the rice warm.
I've made it both ways and I prefer using 2 pans.  
 
Be sure to stop by Carole's Chatter for lots of fun links!

1 comment: