Sunday, February 17, 2013

Teriyaki Chicken

 
I like easy dishes that look and taste like they are really complicated. When you make them for other people to try they think you are a super genius.
"Wow, you must have worked at this all day,"they say.
"Aaaaw...but you are worth it," you reply, smiling sweetly as you pretend to wipe sweat from your brow.
This is one of those dishes.
I was inspired by a recipe I found over at Chef In Disguise. I made a few changes (I can't help myself) and was really happy with the results. I definitely will be adding this to my "Go To" dinner list.
 
 
Teriyaki Chicken
 
Ingredients
1 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp water
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1 Tbsp Chinese cooking wine
3 cloves garlic, minced
salt & pepper
8 - 9 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
 
Directions
Preheat oven to 425. Spray a 9 x 13 dish with cooking spray, set aside.
In a saucepan over medium heat, whisk together cornstarch and water until smooth. Whisk in brown sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, wine, garlic, and salt & pepper. Cook over medium heat until thickened.
Remove from heat.
Spoon a little of the sauce into the bottom of the prepared 9 X 13 pan. Spread out the chicken thighs in the pan. Pour the remaining sauce evenly over the chicken.
 
 
Bake at 425 for 10 minutes. Flip chicken over and baste with the sauce in the pan. Turn heat down to 350 and continue cooking until chicken is done. (For me this was another 10 minutes.)
Serve hot over rice or noodles. (You will want something to soak up all that tasty sauce!)
If you want to fancy it up when serving you can sprinkle with a few toasted sesame seeds or even some sliced green onion.
 
 
I usually use chicken breasts when I cook but this week the boneless, skinless thighs were on sale at our local grocery store so I thought I would give them a try. They worked really well for this recipe and stayed extremely moist!
I think the prep time for this was about 5 minutes, then about 7 minutes to make the sauce, and 20 minutes to cook the chicken. Dinner in about half an hour....who doesn't like that?
 
Be sure to stop by Jam Hands and Ms. enPlace for some fantastic links!

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree. Dishes that look like you spent all day but didn't rock! This is a super easy recipe. Thank you for sharing this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This meal looks great. I'm in love with all of it. New follower from Ms.enPlace. I would like to invite you to my link party tomorrow at http://www.memoriesbythemile.com/
    Hope to see you there.
    Wanda Ann @ Memories by the Mile

    ReplyDelete