Friday, February 15, 2013

Zucchini Veggie Bake

 
I went on a bit of a Valentine's Day bender yesterday.
Sad...but true.
I would like to be able to post about the fancy, decadent desserts and treats I made but...here's the thing....I've been sicker than sick the last few days - strep throat, cold, fever, coughing - all that good stuff...so I did not get any Valentine's treats made.
None.
At all.
It made me so sad. Valentine's is my favorite holiday.
*sigh*
Anyway... my bender included inhaling anything chocolate that was within my reach and I do mean a lot of it.
I figured today I better get back on board the veggie train. Thus, this yummy zucchini creation came to be.
 
 
Zucchini Veggie Bake
 
Ingredients
1 medium zucchini, shredded & drained
1 large carrot, shredded
1/2 a medium onion, diced
2 pieces bacon, diced
seasoning salt
salt & pepper
garlic powder
1 egg
1 Tbsp Greek yogurt (0 fat)
1 Tbsp cream cheese (0 fat)
2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, shredded & divided
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp coconut flour
 
Directions
Preheat oven to 350. Spray an 8 X 8 pan with cooking spray, set aside.
Spray a large fry pan with cooking spray. Cook zucchini until just starting to get a bit browned (you want to cook out any excess moisture).
 
 
Scrape into a bowl and set aside.
In the same fry pan, cook carrot, onion, and bacon until bacon is cooked and onion has softened. Sprinkle with spices.
 
 
Scrape into bowl with the zucchini.
In a small bowl, whisk together egg, Greek yogurt, cream cheese, 1 Tbsp of the Parmesan cheese, garlic, and coconut flour. Pour into bowl with veggies.
 
 
Stir until well combined. Spread into prepared 8 X 8 pan and sprinkle with remaining 1 Tbsp Parmesan cheese.
 
 
Bake at 350 for 30 - 40 minutes, until top is crispy.
 
 
You can eat the entire recipe (according to Fitday) for:
380 calories, 17 fat, 32 carbs, 27 protein.
I ate half of the recipe for lunch and it was pretty darned filling.
A couple of notes - 1. Make sure you really squeeze any excess water out of the zucchini.
2. Make it vegetarian by leaving out the bacon.
Am I still sad I didn't get to make any Valentine's Day treats? Yes.
Do I feel better about myself today after overdosing on chocolate yesterday? Yes.
Veggies can cure the chocolate hangover.
 
Don't forget to visit My Turn (for us) and Blissful and Domestic for some great links!

6 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really yummy! Had to pin it. Should be a good one for that diet I'm going to be starting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I am excited to try this recipe but I have to ask... Is there a reason to include the coconut flour regarding flavor? Can I substitute it for another flour or just leave it out? I have never heard of coconut flour and would hate to buy a bag and have the rest go to waste. Thanks in advance! -Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was fabulous straight from the oven and even better cold but did not reheat well. Thanks so much for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting us know Liz :) Glad you liked it.

      Delete