Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Pumpkin Apple Pie Brownies With Apple Pie Fudge Frosting


I discovered something about myself while making this recipe. I discovered I can't make fudge.
Oh...I try.
Don't get me wrong.
I WANT to be able to make fudge. 
It just seems that it is not meant to be for me. Of course, the "cheat" fudge using frosting and chocolate chips - that I can do. But, if it involves any kind of boiling then...forget it.... don't even let me near the stove.
See...originally I started out to make Apple Pie Fudge
No Brownie, no frosting, none of that.
Just.
Fudge.
Simple, right?
No.
Apparently not for me.
Anyway, to make a long story short, the fudge did NOT set up (despite the tantrum I threw) and thus became frosting for a brownie. 
Did it all work out in the end?
Yes. This is a pretty tasty creation. Very Autumn-ish.
Is fudge making going to be the death of me?
Most probably.
*sigh*


Pumpkin Apple Pie Brownies With Apple Pie Fudge Frosting

Ingredients
Fudge Frosting
1/2 cup apple pie filling, chopped smaller
2 cups white chocolate
3 cups sugar
3/4 cup butter
1 cup whipping cream
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ginger

Brownies
2 1/2 cups flour
3 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
pinch salt
1 cup butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 cup apple pie filling
3/4 cup pecans, chopped

Directions
Prepare fudge frosting - Line an 8 X 8 dish with parchment paper, spray lightly with cooking spray, set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, place the 1/2 cup apple pie filling and 2 cups of white chocolate chips. Attach whisk to stand mixer. 
In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat sugar, butter, cream, and spices. 


Bring to a rolling boil and stir continuously for 4 minutes.
Remove from heat and pour mixture over the white chocolate and pie filling. Beat on medium speed until white chocolate is smooth. Pour into prepared baking dish. 
Chill until set up - 4 hours or overnight. 
(If you want to see the original, unaltered recipe for this fudge then visit Shugary Sweets)
**Now, here is where things went from being fudge to frosting. Mine did not set up. It was firm enough to cut but was way too soft to pick up with your fingers. If yours sets up - congratulations. You made fudge. If it doesn't set up...then continue on with the instructions to make frosting!! **
Prepare brownie - Preheat oven to 350. Line a 9 X 13 pan with parchment paper, spray lightly with cooking spray. Set aside.
In a medium bowl whisk together flour and spices; set aside.
In a large bowl, beat together the butter and both sugars until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Beat in the pumpkin and apple pie filling. 


Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir to combine well. Stir in pecans. 
Spread evenly into prepared 9 X 13 pan.


Bake at 350 until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean and top appears dry, about 40 - 45 minutes.
Remove from oven and let completely cool on a wire rack.


Once brownie has cooled you can frost it.
In order to prepare your fudge frosting (or, as I like to call it, "stupid fudge that didn't set"). Simply scrape the fudge into the bowl of a stand mixer and beat until smooth. 
Spread as much on the brownie top as you like. (I used about half of the fudge to frost my 9 X 13.)


Cut and serve and revel in the fact that you are a complete fudge making failure BUT you do make a mean brownie.


A very dense, moist, delicious, brownie perfect for fall!
 
Don't forget to check out these great links for more food and craft ideas! Easy Life, Blissful and Domestic,  Kitchen Fun With My 3 Sons, and My Turn (for us) and Six Sisters Stuff.

3 comments:

  1. This is an AWESOME recipe that my family would go crazy over! There is nothing about this that isn't over the top delicious! Personally Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love making fudge! I think these look so delicious. Thanks so much for linking up with us at the Four Seasons Blog Party.

    ReplyDelete