Thursday, December 19, 2013

Savory Breakfast Bread Casserole


Ever crave one of those overnight breakfast casseroles but then realized you never actually prepped it the night before? 
I have.
So I decided to see if I could make a savory "overnight" breakfast casserole of only 2 - 3 servings without having to prep it the night before. 
Turns out this was a fabulous idea. It took me about 10 minutes to put this together then it baked while I had my shower and got dressed and was ready when I was. 
Yay for easy breakfasts that are delicious!!


Savory Breakfast Bread Casserole

Ingredients
1 stalk of celery, diced
3 button mushrooms, diced
2 green onions, diced
4 strips bacon, diced
4 pieces of Dempster's Whole Grain Bread, cubed
2 eggs
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup aged cheddar, shredded
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
salt & pepper

Directions
Preheat oven to 375. Spray an 8 inch oven safe dish with cooking spray, set aside.
In a frying pan over medium heat, cook and stir the celery, mushrooms, onions, and bacon until bacon is cooked. Remove from heat.
In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, cheese, and spices. 
Sprinkle the cubed bread into the prepared oven safe dish. Sprinkle the cooked bacon and veggies over the bread. Drizzle the egg & milk mixture over the bread and veggies in the dish. Gently toss to evenly coat all the bread. 
Cook, covered, at 375 for 30 minutes. Remove cover and cook for an addition 10 minutes. 
Serve hot.


According to Myfitness pal, if you make this 3 servings, each serving is:
318 calories, 31 carbs, 15 fat, and 19 protein. 
1/3 of this is pretty filling for breakfast. I had a serving and half an orange and was completely full. 
Bread, bacon, eggs, veggies....everything that makes a breakfast crazy good!

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea!! I love bread pudding in any way, shape or form. :) Plus I just made egg nog cookies today and have two egg whites left over...now I know what I'm having for breakie tomorrow. :) Sorry, I don't have a web page so had to make it anon. It's Sheryl, from Penticton. Merry Christmas you guys and keep up the awesome recipes.

    ReplyDelete