Sunday, October 19, 2014

Spicy Spaghetti Squash Soup


I couldn't believe how tasty this soup was for how easy it was AND the nutritional count blows my mind.
For 1/10th of the recipe (approx a heaping cup) it is 58 calories, 11 carbs, 0 fat, and 3 protein. 
Crazy, right?
58 calories. NO fat. 
I checked it on Myfitness pal twice. 
I'm dying from happiness over here. I had a serving of this for lunch and it was very filling - I actually had to go looking for something else to eat to bring up my calorie count for the day. (P.S. - I ended up having half a toasted whole wheat bun with the soup to up my calories another 80)
You can, of course, throw in other veggies than the ones I've chosen but that will change your nutritional values. 


Spicy Spaghetti Squash Soup

Ingredients
3 large cloves garlic, chopped
1 large onion, diced
1 small jalapeno, seeded & diced
3 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp cumin
salt & pepper
1 large spaghetti squash, roasted
4 cups vegetable broth
1 cup 0 fat Greek yogurt, plain

Directions
Place large pot over medium high heat. Add in garlic, onion, and jalapeno.


Cook and stir until veggies soften. Stir in the curry powder, cumin, and salt & pepper. 


Take your roasted spaghetti squash and shred it with a fork.


Reserve about 2 cups of the shredded squash to add to your soup at the end. Add the rest of the squash to the pot with the other veggies.
Stir in the vegetable broth.


Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for about 20 minutes.
Blend, in batches, in blender until smooth.
Pour back into the pot and place back over medium high heat.
Add in the reserved spaghetti squash.


Bring to a simmer and then stir in the Greek yogurt.


Remove from heat and serve. 
(I topped mine with a little spoonful of Greek yogurt)


A couple of notes - If you have an immersion blender then this is even easier. No need to remove it to a blender, you can just blend it right in the pot.
If you don't want to roast your spaghetti squash (it takes about an hour) them microwaving it will work just as well (this only takes about 10 - 15 minutes).
Want it spicier? Add more jalapeno, curry and cumin. It's a very forgiving recipe. 
This also freezes very well. I simply scooped it into muffin tins (my muffin trays are 1/2 cup volume) and froze them then placed all the frozen "pucks" into a Ziplock bag. 2 "pucks" is one serving. To reheat you can microwave it for a few minutes or in a small pot on the stove top. 

1 comment: