Monday, July 17, 2017

Cherry Ice Cream


Fresh cherry ice cream has been on my list of things to make for several years now. I finally got around to giving it a try this year after receiving a big box of cherries from our uncle. 
I have to admit I was expecting it to be much more bold than it was. It is a very mild flavored ice cream. I suppose this really shouldn't surprise me as cherries are a fairly mild fruit as well. 


It is, however, very smooth and creamy and definitely still tastes like cherries. 
I think next time I would swirl in a little cherry jam just to boost the flavor a bit. 


Cherry Ice Cream

Ingredients
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 eggs
1/4 cup corn syrup
4 cups cherry puree
2 cups whipping cream

Directions
In a mixing bowl, beat together sugar, lemon juice, and eggs until smooth. 
Beat in the corn syrup, cherry puree, and whipping cream until well combined. 
Chill for 2 hours and then pour into ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer's directions. Freeze until ready to serve. 


I topped our bowls of ice creams with some fresh cherries for a splash of color and texture. You could also top with chocolate syrup, cherry syrup, or warmed up cherry jam! 


For a little different flavor boost you could add in 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of almond extract. Don't use too much though or it will overwhelm the flavor of the cherries. 
For the puree - if you don't want big bits of cherries/skin in your ice cream you can press your puree through a sieve. Just make sure you don't strain it all out! The little bits are nice in there. :) 



Be sure to stop by Carole's Chatter for some fun foodie links! 

No comments:

Post a Comment