Thursday, November 15, 2012

Snickers Ice Cream

 
One of my favorite chocolate bars of all times is Snickers. All that caramel and peanuts and chocolate and nougat just make me happy from the inside out.
They even have a Snickers Ice Cream Bar now.
I know, right?
I think they are trying to kill me.
Anyway...I used that as my inspiration to create this ice cream. I was happy with the results - very Snicker-y. I just have to learn how to swirl in the caramel a little better.
I am NOT a pro caramel swirler.
At all.
It's sad really.....
 
 
Snickers Ice Cream
 
Ingredients
2 cups whipping cream
1 vanilla bean
3 egg yolks
1 cup icing sugar
1 cup half & half
1 Tbsp whipped cream vodka (I used Pinnacle), optional
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
1/3 cup roasted, salted peanuts, coarsely chopped
3/4 cup dulce de leche
 
Directions
Pour the whipping cream into a medium saucepan. Cut the vanilla bean in half vertically and scrape out seeds. Place seeds and bean pod into cream.
Heat cream until it is almost boiling. Remove from heat and cover. Let steep for about 20 minutes. Remove bean pod and either discard or save for another use.
Place back over low heat while you prepare yolks.
In a medium sized bowl, beat egg yolks with icing sugar until thick and pale. Slowly pour hot cream mixture into yolks, beating the entire time. (Do this slowly so you don't curdle the eggs)
 Pour the mixture back into the pan. Place over medium heat and stir constantly until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
Remove pan from heat.
Stir in the half and half and whipped cream vodka (if you are using). Pour into a bowl, cover, and refrigerate until completely cool. At least 2 - 3 hours.
When your ice cream mixture is cooled, place in ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer's directions. When you remove it from the ice cream maker, pour into a 9 X 13 pan.
 
 
Freeze for about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with the chocolate chips, peanuts, and dulce de leche.
 
 
Freeze again for another 30 minutes to an hour. Once it is semi-firm you can now scrape it into a bowl with a lid for storage. I did it in the 9 X 13 pan first so I could make sure the add-ins would be evenly spread throughout. You can, of course, just fold them in after it comes out of the ice cream maker. (I just find I always have big clumps of add-ins that way.)
 
 
Sooooo tasty!
I used the new Eagle brand Dulce de Leche - not quite the entire can. It worked great.
 
 
My other favorite chocolate bars are Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and Wunderbar (If you have never heard of a Wunderbar you have totally missed out. The bar consists of a chocolate layer filled with an inner caramel sub-layer wrapped around a center of peanut butter and pieces of nuts.Besides, there are some small rice flakes in there as well, but you hardly realize them among the nuts. So on the one hand, the bar is smooth, and on the other, it also contains a crunchy and chewy experience.)
I can't wait to turn those bad boys into ice cream!
 
Be sure to visit My Turn (for us) for some great links!

No comments:

Post a Comment